Friday, June 16, 2006

Being English during the World Cup amongst other things

I find that the English are not exactly as they seem. We are not all short of hair and free drinking of beer in plastic cups or tins. We are not all male either. I am male, however. But I have long hair, and I wear glasses, and perhaps look more Irish than Anglo-Saxon. I still consider myself English, when the country is involved in sports events.

What must the Germans think?

I find that most German fans look like most English fans, except that the English now have darker hair and perhaps are thinner than the Germans. The English have a better football team however. Is the dark hair of the English something to do with global warming? There are so many questions, and only three weeks of the World Cup remaining.

I find that before my father puts out the dinner, the clatter of plates, the low clonk of food-filled pans and pots, he clears his throat. How strange.

No comments: